Nova Pioneer is looking for a rockstar Resident Junior Secondary Geography/ History Teacher willing and ready to start in January 2023 as we launch our Junior Secondary School Campus at Eldoret Boys & Eldoret Girls High Schools. Please note this applies to teachers who have 3+ years teaching experience. You will play a critical role in delivering an exceptional 21st Century learning experience for our students.
This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of an innovative network of schools that is developing generations of innovators and leaders who will shape the African Century.
Disclaimer: Nova Pioneer does not charge any fee to process your application.
ABOUT NOVA PIONEER
Imagine a world in which every young person across Africa attends a school that truly sets them up for success in the 21st century. A school that cares about individual students and allows them to explore the world around them. A school that focuses more on developing skills than on memorizing content. At Nova Pioneer, we have done more than just imagine this future, we are bringing it to life. Nova Pioneer is a pan-African, independent network of schools offering high quality, accessible education from pre-primary through secondary school. Nova Pioneer uses a unique, enquiry-based learning approach that encourages students to ask “why” instead of telling them the “what”. It allows them to form their own thinking through exploration, investigation and collaboration. Nova Pioneer currently has 14 schools in South Africa and Kenya with a vision to launch 100 schools and reach tens of thousands of students across the African continent in the next decade. To learn more visit www.novapioneer.com.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Key responsibilities for the role include:
- Teaching the subject of specialization i.e. Geography/ History.
- Maintain positive, constructive and professional relationships with students, their families and colleagues.
- Develop lessons plans and partner with the Learning Design Team in reviewing and updating lessons when required/ desired.
- Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning, is developmentally appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students and maintain an organized and focused learning environment.
- Infuse joy and passion for learning in lessons so that students are excited and interested in their academic excellence.
- Provide necessary accommodations and modifications for the growth and success of all students, both in academic and culture expectations.
- Be accountable for students’ mastery of content and academic standards.
- Integrate interactive technology into lessons to enhance instructional delivery.
- Set and communicate rigorous and ambitious goals for all students and provide effective student feedback so they internalize them.
- Provide consistent rewards and/or consequences for student behavior and model expected behaviour at all times for students to emulate
- Consistently meet the ambitious goals of a rapidly-growing organization
- Serve as teacher on duty and/or boarding teacher on duty and support school wide programs aimed at behavior interventions.
- Timely capture of students data on academic outcomes and articulation of students progress to NP families and other stakeholders when called upon to do so.
- Support clubs, societies and other core-curricular enrichments at the school aimed at building all rounded students.
- Serve as a home room teacher when called upon to do so.
Skills and Qualifications required:
- You have a TSC certificate
- A Diploma/ Bachelor’s degree in Education to teach Geography/ History
- You have 1-2 years of teaching experience.
- You have good working skills with technology such as Word, Powerpoint and Excel
- You are a great communicator. You are able to provide clear and effective written and verbal communication.
- You are flexible and open to change – you handle uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity well.
- You are a problem solver – you are proactive in identifying issues and address these thoroughly by making an effort to find appropriate solutions.
- You are excited about our organizational culture—and in particular, you are fired up to challenge yourself by embracing mutual vulnerability and a firehose of feedback.
- You have a desire to further develop your leadership skills and apply them to transform the lives of African youth.
HOW TO APPLY
Does working at Nova Pioneer excite you? If so, then apply now!
To apply, please complete the form on the right hand side of this page. We cannot process applications that are emailed to us.
Please note: You are encouraged to attach your resume in PDF format to protect formatting.
There are a series of stages in the Nova Pioneer interview process and candidates will be moved forward in the process depending on their success in the previous stage. The process is as follows:
- Phone interview: a short conversation to understand your skills and experience a little better.
- Practical demonstration of what you can do: you will complete a written task or a demonstration related to the role you are applying for. Teachers sit an assessment and deliver a lesson to a class.
- Final interview: you’ll have a final conversation with the hiring manager before decisions are made.
WORKING AT NOVA PIONEER
Nova Pioneer is a place where our people experience tremendous growth, fast! We invest heavily in the growth of our people because it leads to greater mastery in both us and our students. “Novaneers” work harder and work longer hours than at most schools but as a result, the growth they experience is extraordinary. We offer consistent and ongoing professional development and provide clear career pathways that ensure that our people are always achieving their personal and professional best. Nova Pioneer has a highly energetic, entrepreneurial environment where our people get to bring their creative and innovative ideas to life. We look for people who are flexible and who are able to adapt and respond quickly to adversity with a positive, can-do attitude (there are no problems, only solutions!). We welcome challenges and roll with the punches because it makes us, and our students, better. There is no problem too big for us! We work hard but we also have a lot of fun together. We bring infectious energy and enthusiasm to everything we do because joy fuels the hardest work and learning. Read more about our culture principles here.