Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following: Lagos, Nigeria; Nairobi, Kenya; Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Bachelor’s degree in Technology, Science, Law, Policy, Economics, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience working with telecommunications service providers acquiring or selling connectivity related solutions
- Experience selling or buying assets and solutions in emerging markets
- Experience in negotiating complex agreements with ISP partners and/or Internet Exchanges
- Experience in negotiating wholesale agreements between carriers (e.g., roaming, wholesale, etc.)
- Proficient in internet concepts including routing (e.g., IGP/BGP), traffic management, interconnection, wholesale, and data center colocation services
- Knowledge of stakeholders, issues, and market trends within Africa
- Creative approach to solving unclear multi-stakeholder challenges
About the job
Google’s infrastructure needs go far beyond server computers. As Google’s products and services scale the globe, the Strategic Negotiation team works behind the scenes to secure infrastructure for Google’s future — everything from underwater cables to physical data center space. As a Strategic Negotiator, you combine your deep market knowledge of a given sector with tech industry savvy to negotiate cost-effective solutions to support Google’s infrastructure growth. You’ll work with specific project teams on negotiating deals, managing vendor and partner relationships and presenting deal recommendations to our Tech leadership. Your successful negotiations have the potential to save Google millions of dollars in operating costs and impact every part of the business.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google’s product portfolio possible. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
As a Strategic Negotiator, you will be a representative of Google’s peering and interconnect activities in the market, at various industry events, and in support of local business and policy teams.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google’s product portfolio possible. We’re proud to be our engineers’ engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Define the peering and interconnect strategy for a particular region (i.e. points of presence attractiveness, local and regional expansion, etc.).
- Manage the relationship with peers in the region (e.g., capacity forecast, customized peering recommendations etc.).
- Support conversations with strategic partners related to direct interconnection.
- Lead partnerships in tandem with our Legal, Treasury, Policy, and Tax teams.
- Articulate Google’s peering and interconnect position in the region to internal and external stakeholders. Communicate progress internally and collaborate with network teams.